IS THIS FOR YOU?
This one-day intensive course is designed to enhance the practical numeracy skills of professionals in the engineering and manufacturing sectors.
It aims to provide hands-on experience and a deeper understanding of how numeracy is applied in real-world engineering and manufacturing scenarios.
This course is delivered as a small-group activity using a range of practical approaches to learning:
- · Interactive Lectures
- · Hands-on Exercises and Practical Demonstrations
- · Group Discussions and Case Study Analysis
- · Q&A Sessions
- Strengthen foundational mathematical concepts and their application in engineering and manufacturing.
- Develop skills for precise measurement and conversion critical in manufacturing processes.
- Enhance abilities in interpreting and creating technical drawings and plans.
- Cultivate proficiency in calculating material costs and budgeting for projects.
- Improve understanding of statistical methods for quality control and process optimization.
1. Foundational Mathematics in Engineering and Manufacturing
- Revisiting key mathematical concepts (Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry)
- Practical applications in machinery design, structural calculations, and workflow optimization
2. Measurement and Conversion for Manufacturing Accuracy
- Understanding different measurement units and their conversions
- Techniques for precise measurement and implications of measurement errors
- Case studies highlighting the importance of accuracy in manufacturing.
3. Technical Drawings and Plans: Interpretation and Creation
- Basics of reading and interpreting engineering drawings
- Creating simple technical drawings with measurements
- Use of tools like CAD for design and planning
4. Methods for accurate material estimation
- Cost analysis and budgeting for projects
- Case study: Material selection and cost optimisation
5. Statistical Techniques in Quality Control
- Introduction to statistical methods used in manufacturing.
- Analysing production data for quality control
- Case studies on process improvement using statistical analysis.
Funded places are available for eligible adults.
- Aged 19+
- Live or work in Essex
- No existing maths qualification at Grade C or above
- UK or EEA national